Hypebot’s Bruce Houghton, a frequent contributor to MIDEMBlog, shares the prevailing pre-MIDEM mood: when will things take off at last…?!
As I pack my bags to attend MIDEM, I do so with a touch of apprehension because, while so much in the music industry has changed, so much remains the same:
- Overall music sales are a fraction of what they were, but strong new sources of income have yet to emerge.
- The same major labels still dominate most sales and airplay charts.
- While new faces fill the digital slots, the senior executive suites at those majors remain controlled by men who have a proven resistance to real change.
- Few strong new independent labels have emerged to challenge this old guard.
- Even if Spotify were to use MidemNet to announce a U.S. launch, rightsholders stalled for far too long. And too many other worthy music services remain in an ill-defined line waiting for licencing.
- In most countries, copyright laws are still unequipped to handle an age of digital music creation and consumption.